My Blog Adventure!

Welcome to my blog! It's high time this 48-year-old ventures into blog world and joins the ranks of you intriguing bloggers. First off, you should know I love the Lord Jesus Christ with all my heart. I love His Creation, His Word, His forgiveness, His mercy, and His being the Savior of my life. He is my reason for living! After the Lord, my next love in life is my outdoor-lovin', prankster pullin', hard workin' man I've called my husband for 24 years and counting. My 3 sons - to whom this blog is dedicated - have the next piece of my heart, and they fill my world with laughter, love, and laundry. I am calling this MY BLOG ADVENTURE... so hop into blog world with me... let's get to encouraging one another... this could be fun!

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Personal Style Within the Structure of the Plans, Part 1

Can you encourage personal style within the provided structure of Heart of Dakota's plans?  

Absolutely!  In fact, the opportunity for personal style is naturally part of the plans already. How are both included, you may ask?  Well, the daily plans provide specific guidelines for each school subject, which gives structure for each assignment.  This type of structure might include how many sentences a written narration should be, what topics need to be narrated upon, which timeline entries need to be made, etc.  Structure gives needed parameters, but it need not squelch the creativity of personal style!

How can students get creative with their personal style then?
Good question!  Well, the good news is personal style is completely a natural part of a living books approach to learning, and a living books approach to learning is part of every Heart of Dakota guide.  Narrations include structure in the plans, such as which books to narrate upon, which pages within that book to narrate upon, and which kind of narration to give.  But, they also encourage personal style by letting each student choose what to retell, which parts to give more attention, and what connections are made.  This is the opposite of a textbook/workbook approach, which include "just the facts ma'am."  Likewise, the varied assessments included in the structure of Heart of Dakota's plans are the opposite of a worksheet, quizzes, and tests only plan for assessments, which include just one right answer.

Do you have some examples of personal style being encouraged within the structure of the plans?
Well, yes I do!  Glad you asked because this is what I wanted to share with you this week in my weekly check-in!  Let's start with my son, Emmett, in Creation to Christ.



Timeline Entry Assignment

Structure in the Plans: 

  • 3 timeline entries must be made
  • specific pictures must be drawn
  • captions must be written

Personal Style:

  • drew his own pictures
  • colored the pictures how he wanted
  • chose to write his labels in either cursive or print
A Few Things to Remember:
This isn't a drawing assignment, so if the timeline pictures are not of art quality - in the name of personal style - let it be!  However, structure demands the right 3 things are drawn labeled with the proper captions.



Geography Travel Log Assignment

Structure in the Plans:

  • Geography of the Holy Lands must be read
  • writing must show something learned
  • drawing must show something learned
Personal Style:
  • chose his own Travel Log template
  • chose his own 3 topics to write about
  • chose his own picture to draw
A Few Things to Remember:
This isn't a quiz, so if your student didn't write a summary of what was learned - in the name of personal style - let it be!  However, structure demands the 3 written topics and the 1 drawing must be pertinent to the geography reading.





Poetry Appreciation Assignment:

Structure in the Plans:
  • must read the poem pausing at punctuation marks
  • must write the given stanza
  • must follow the steps to watercolor paint
Personal Style:
  • chose his own way of doing the painting (no 'perfect' model was given for him to look at, which encourages personal style as opposed to exactly duplicating someone else's painting)
  • chose his own small picture to draw
  • chose where to place his index card
A Few Things to Remember:
This isn't an art appreciation assignment (it's a poetry appreciation assignment), so if your student didn't paint a jaw-dropping picture - in the name of personal style - let it be!  However, structure demands the steps for creating the painting and the steps for creating the card be followed.

Next weekly check-in, I'll share Part 2 of this series on personal style within the structure of the plans in regard to my son Riley, who is completing World Geography this year.  Then, the following weekly check-in, I'll share Part 3 of this series in regard to my son Wyatt, who is completing U.S. History II this year.  For now, I'll just sign off saying... Happy Valentine's Day to all you lovely ladies!  





No comments:

Post a Comment