My Blog Adventure!

Welcome to my blog! It's high time this 48-year-old ventures into blog world and joins the ranks of you intriguing bloggers. First off, you should know I love the Lord Jesus Christ with all my heart. I love His Creation, His Word, His forgiveness, His mercy, and His being the Savior of my life. He is my reason for living! After the Lord, my next love in life is my outdoor-lovin', prankster pullin', hard workin' man I've called my husband for 24 years and counting. My 3 sons - to whom this blog is dedicated - have the next piece of my heart, and they fill my world with laughter, love, and laundry. I am calling this MY BLOG ADVENTURE... so hop into blog world with me... let's get to encouraging one another... this could be fun!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Organization: Homeschool Materials

Books, art supplies, paper, guides - there can be a lot of things to organize when it comes to homeschooling.  I finally have found a great way to go about organizing all of this stuff.  First, having all the materials in one large cabinet gives a one stop place for dc to gather everything at once, which helps eliminate wasted time within the day.  Second, having it right near where dc are homeschooling helps them be able to quickly get their things, and helps eliminate the dawdling that goes along with gathering things from different parts of the house where distractions can get dc off track.  Third, having doors is a must, as all these supplies just really do tend to look pretty messy pretty easily.  Fourth, if you need a copier for homeschooling, having it within the big cabinet is another real plus.  Fifth, if you use a computer for homeschooling, having a cabinet with a slideout place for a computer really saves space and is easy to use, as dc can just open the cabinet, slide out the computer, and pull up some chairs to use it.  

Lower sections of the cabinet provide great space for things little ones can grab out on their own and play with.  Higher sections provide good places for less used materials.  It is nice if the art supplies can be fairly mobile (as I mentioned in another post).  It is also nice if each child can have his/her own tub for school with just the necessary books for the day to pull out and use, as this also is quite mobile.  

I have finally been able to get a cabinet that is made of real wood and matches our other cabinets, but we used inexpensive particle board cabinets before this, and those worked well too, provided they were anchored to the wall for safety reasons.
 










NOW, doesn't this look better again!

I hope this helps someone else with their homeschooling supplies to organize!
In Christ, 
Julie

4 comments:

  1. Julie,
    I love that cabinet, it is just perfect. It looks like an entertainment center but "aha" it is so much better it is an education center. Our lives center around education not entertainment (especially the tv) so this would work in almost any room you do school. I must ask where you found this at? I think hubby could build it if he had to though, hmmm... Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Mandy - Thanks! It DOES look like an 'education center' - what a great way to describe this! We had the cabinet makers who had done the kitchen make this matching cabinet for us, but I have seen many armoires of all different price ranges that would work well for this too. Office stores have the pull-out computer drawers in their furniture, but I don't think a pull-out would be hard to add to an armoire either. HTH - happy organizing!

    In Christ,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo exactly my "dream" school cabinet! I cant tell you how many times i have drawn similar pictures discribing that toy shelving too. Lol! Soo amazing to have real pictures to show and say, "this is it! See!" ;-) So thank u. Now to save my pennies...i am still working on trying to buythe next level curriculum, so it will will b a lil i think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mercy - this is my dream school cabinet! I spent many, many years saving for it, but it has been so worth it. Every day I open it I am thankful. I wish I would have just bought a cheap version of it earlier though - really any cabinet with doors would have saved my sanity so much earlier. ; )

    In Christ,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete