My Blog Adventure!

Welcome to my blog! It's high time this 48-year-old ventures into blog world and joins the ranks of you intriguing bloggers. First off, you should know I love the Lord Jesus Christ with all my heart. I love His Creation, His Word, His forgiveness, His mercy, and His being the Savior of my life. He is my reason for living! After the Lord, my next love in life is my outdoor-lovin', prankster pullin', hard workin' man I've called my husband for 24 years and counting. My 3 sons - to whom this blog is dedicated - have the next piece of my heart, and they fill my world with laughter, love, and laundry. I am calling this MY BLOG ADVENTURE... so hop into blog world with me... let's get to encouraging one another... this could be fun!

Sunday, January 5, 2014

A New Year's Resolution Taken from "Kisses from Katie"

New Year's Resolution... try to add something to my blog more often than last year (shouldn't be hard, right?!?)

I just finished reading "Kisses from Katie,"  which is a book used in Heart of Dakota's Living Library for World Geography...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/hearts-for-him-through-high-school-descriptions1.php

This book was just incredibly inspirational, and I can't help but think it was God's nudging for me to read it RIGHT NOW, at this moment in my life (especially as her book ended with Christmas celebrations).  Yes, I do believe God is in the details of my life like that.

Katie is a young Christian lady living in Uganda doing amazing things amidst terribly difficult conditions.  I'll admit, reading about Katie's average days made me repeatedly think, "How in the world am I so tired at the end of my quite predictable and admittedly easier days?!?"  Then, I remember I am in my 40's, and Katie is in her 20's, and it makes a bit more sense (those of you in your 40's get what I mean, those of you in your 20's - go attack your day gals!).

So, do I feel my purpose in life is to be a missionary in a foreign country?  No - surprisingly that is not the message of "Kisses from Katie," though I imagine God will put that purpose in the hearts of those who read that book who it is His purpose for.   So, do I feel my purpose in life is to adopt a child from Uganda?  No - surprisingly that is also not the message of "Kisses from Katie,"  though again, I do believe God will put that purpose in the hearts of those who read that book who it is His purpose for.  What I did take from this book that profoundly affected my life outlook is to LOVE THE ONES GOD PUTS IN FRONT OF ME.  That is what Katie continually does, in the midst of extreme poverty with countless people in need, she just helps the THE ONES GOD PUTS IN FRONT OF HER, one at a time.

Hmm.  I can do that!  And do you know who I looked out and saw?  My husband - weary from work and in need of my love.  My children - growing up in an uncertain world and in need of my guidance.  My parents - in the throes of dealing with pancreatic cancer and hospice care and in need of my help. The gal at the checkout counter at Walmart, who needs someone to smile at her and thank her for her hard work.  The gal at the chiropractor's office showing me her tattoos and telling me she's contemplating getting a cross on her back to bear the sins she inflicted on her parents through the years - like I said honey, 'No need to do that!  Jesus bore them for you already!'  And the list goes on. One person.  One moment at a time.  Whoever you put in front of me.  I can do that, Lord, with You by my side.  I can do that.  If you get a chance, ladies, get "Kisses from Katie" from HOD and tell me how it affected you!

So this 2014... I'm going to LOVE on my husband - a lot!  I'm going to LOVE on my children - with joy!  I'm going to LOVE on my parents - with gratitude!  And should I be blessed enough to meet any of you, and have you be THE ONE GOD PUTS IN FRONT OF ME, look out - love is coming your way!

Happy New Year - may it be a good one!  God bless!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment